Rediscover an ancient duchy
The old duchy of Arenberg and its 11 villages as visitors see it today:
Stretching along the banks of the river Ahr, this village of 270 people marks the site at which ore from the surrounding mountains was worked.
Mentionned in 975, this is a village of 600 inhabitants with a good infrastructure (school, kindergarten, local businesses)
Birthplace of the House of Arenberg, this village of 260 inhabitants lies at the foot of Mount Arenberg (623 metres), the third highest peak in the Eifel mountains. A look-out tower and the ruins of the mediaeval fortress are still visible. Magnificent panorama.
First mentioned in 1149, this village was part of the former duchy of Arenberg until 1794. Today only 212 people live here, but there was a population of over 1,500 when it was the duchy's principal iron mine.
Today this is an idyllically peaceful hamlet with only seventy inhabitants, but in 1590 it was another iron working centre.
A document dating from 1397 is the first mention we find of this village. Today it has a population of 850, some in the village proper and the remainder in the holiday centre, both close to a magnificent lake.
Capital of the duchy of Arenberg, Lommersdorf first appears in History in 975. Today the former capital town has 680 inhabitants, a school, a kindergarten and a variety of vigorous businesses. The church dates from the 12th century.
A dispute between the House of Arenberg and the Archbishop of Cologne in 1300-1304 was the first time this village of 480 people was mentioned.
A village of 168 inhabitants whose history dates from 1481. In 1987 it won the German national "Beautiful Villages" competition.
First refered to in 1148, Reetz today has a population of 433, mostly young and dynamic families.
First mentioned in a document dating from 1395, this village was built along a Roman road and is certainly much older. Wershofen today has over 900 inhabitants and a fine infrastructure of tourist services.